Monday, June 5, 2017

Confessions of an Unlikely Runner




I found this book to be an absolutely charming piece of running memoir. The author has a well-developed and conversational voice that kept my interest engaged throughout. It's a nice little overview of the various categories of popular running (marathons, obstacle courses, relays) told through vignettes and anecdotes of the author's experience. This book is geared towards beginners but Dana Ayers has an appealing enough tone, and a solid well of humor and insight to engage the more experienced runner.

All too often the tone of running memoir is either faux self-deprecating ("I barely broke that 1:25 mark on the half and had to eat ALL the donuts after!") or a bit too trite ("when I crossed that finish line I was no longer that widower but a runner"). Ayers' book is a great example of how even running memoirs built around committed novices can be a great read if the author has talent.

http://amzn.to/2ryzpiy

Running a half marathon on a high dose marijuana edible: a case study

Runner’s Weed It was mile nine that I became a draft horse. One of those big and goofy Budweiser-type doofus-horses, the type with a cow fo...